Oklahoma Coalition Against Domestic
Violence and Sexual Assault


If you are worried about someone knowing that you have visited this web site, please click here.
To leave this site immediately, click here.
Click here to find someone close to you who can help.
Sexual and domestic violence and stalking are eliminated in the state of Oklahoma and Indian Country.

Protective Orders

A Domestic Violence Protection Order is a civil order that can:

  • Order the abuser not to hurt, harm or harass you
  • Order the abuser not to contact you for any reason
  • Give you temporary possession of your residence
  • Order the abuser to stay away from your place of employment

You can get a Protection Order against:

  • Anyone closely related to you
  • Anyone with whom you live
  • Anyone with whom you are or were previously in a dating relationship with

Who Qualifies for Protective Orders?

  • Spouses, ex-spouses
  • Present spouses of ex-spouses
  • Parents, including grandparents, stepparents, adoptive parents, and foster parents
  • Children, including grandchildren, stepchildren, adopted children, and foster children
  • Persons otherwise related by blood or marriage
  • Persons living in the same household or who formerly lived in the same household
  • Persons who are the biological parents of the same children, regardless of their martial status
  • Dating partners
  • Previous dating partners

How to Get a Protection Order

Consider contacting the Oklahoma domestic violence/sexual assault program nearest the county where you are and ask for help. Go to the courthouse in the county where you live, where the abusive person lives or where the abuse happened and tell the Court Clerk that you wish to file a petition for a protection order. The Court Clerk may send you to a different person within the courthouse. If you don't understand where they are sending you, ask them to walk you to that office.

You can download a copy of the protective order form from the OSCN website.

Once you receive the forms (you will need at least 1. a petition for protective order form for the county you are filing in, 2. an emergency protective order for that county - the judge may fill this out or require you to do so - ask the Court Clerk or advocate and in some places 3. a domestic relations cover sheet and/or 4. a UCCJEA affidavit), if you need help in filling them out, ask for the Victim Witness Coordinator or advocate. You do not need witnesses, an attorney (although it may be beneficial to consult with an attorney before filing), or a police report to file. Filing the Protection Order is free.

You will be asked on the forms to describe the violence your abuser threatened to do or did and what action you want the court to take. Be sure to explain the most recent and most severe incidents of abuse, especially physical abuse. Once you have completed the forms, someone, either the clerk, advocate or the Victim Witness Coordinator will ask you if the statements are true.